Monday, September 22, 2014

A Weekend in Phnom Pehn

Source: Telegraph UK
























I just came back from a weekend in Phnom Penh where I felt I was transported into another time.  We stayed at the Raffles Hotel Le Royal, which was first established in 1929.  Black & white photos of former guest, Jackie Kennedy, adorned the walls, and the rooms were filled with art deco furnishings.  

Our first day, we ventured out on a architectural tour, largely visiting former french colonial building, which now serve as homes to squatters.  It's amazing how the forces of humans and nature can demolish a building in less than a few decades.  

And the next day, we went to the school prison and killing fields from the Khmer Rouge -- a chilling reminder of how quickly the history of an entire country can be changed.

I'm now back at home in the extremely modern world of Singapore, but I have a few photos below to remind me of my trip to another time.  If you can handle some heat and dust, I recommend you make the journey too.









1 comment:

  1. I love the way you have described the place expats should visit. On the other hand, if you are an expat and plan on moving to Singapore, do check out www.placematch.sg. I found it to be very useful in finding a place.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...