Friday, April 4, 2014

[Pitchfork] Excellent Website Design

In case you haven't noticed, websites are starting to get pretty awesome (goodbye web of the early 2000s).  Personally, I'm loving the 1-page websites, full of high-quality images and just enough playful motion to make your eyes stop for a second to reflect.

In that vein, I'm loving this Pitchfork cover story on Mac Demarco, solely for the web design (disclaimer: I didn't read the article.  Just looked at the pictures).

For publishers to continue to exist in this age of unlimited information, it's important for them to bring something unique to the ubiquitous "internet" table that the rest of us can't.  While good writing is part of it, I think it's just as important (if not more) to use extraordinary visual techniques.

I've included a few images from the Pitchfork article below, but it's way better on their website.  Take 5 minutes to check it out here.

PS - I also liked the web integration in this article by Rolling Stone magazine.  Beware: It's pretty gruesome, which goes along well with the content.




2 comments:

  1. Totally agree! I LOVE all the Pitchfork Cover Story websites (the first one that WOWed me was the Daft Punk: http://pitchfork.com/features/cover-story/reader/daft-punk/).

    Here are two older examples of using this kind of web development for journalistic storytelling that I bet you would appreciate (in case you haven't seen them):
    - Snow Fall by the NYTimes: http://www.nytimes.com/projects/2012/snow-fall/#/?part=tunnel-creek
    - Firestorm by the Guardian: http://www.theguardian.com/world/interactive/2013/may/26/firestorm-bushfire-dunalley-holmes-family

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't seen any of these. I really like the Firestorm one -- really nice use of video + writing + photography. It's also really easy to navigate the right column.

      Hoping this is the way of the future for publishers.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...