Saturday, March 15, 2014

A First-Hand Account

Walker Evans, 1937
"Stare.  It is a way to educate your eye, and more.  Stare, pry, listen, eavesdrop.  Die knowing something.  You are not here long" - Walker Evans
I love documentary photograph.  

I like peering into someone else's life without them knowing.  Call it voyeurism.  Maybe, I'm just "anthropologically-inclined."  Regardless, I had to get off of Facebook several years ago.

As previously mentioned, I'm taking a Coursera class on Art History (yes, get ready for lots of art-related posts), and we reviewed some really eye-opening work last night by some documentary greats (by, "we", I mean myself and my macbook air in bed).

It's amazing how a photograph can make me feel reminiscent, even nostalgic for a life I never lived.

Bill Owens, Suburbia 










Walker Evans, The Great Depression



































Carrie Mae Weems, The Kitchen Table Series





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...