Monday, August 5, 2013

Travel Recommendation: Koh Jum, Thailand

























"It is not necessarily at home that we best encounter our true selves.  The furniture insists that we cannot change because it does not; the domestic setting keeps us tethered to the person we are in ordinary life, who may not be who we essentially are." - Alain de Botton

I'm spoiled.  I live in Singapore where it's unbelievably easy to travel from.  
In less than 1.5 hours, I can go from my house to flight via one of the best airports in the world, Changi.  Within Southeast Asia alone, there our eleven countries to visit, with their own unique cultures and traditions.  

Plus, the combination of discount airlines like Tiger & Air Asia and a major reduction in my personal taxes via living in Singapore has made it pretty affordable (albeit, it's probably my second biggest expense after rent).  

All this being said, I'm a bit of a traveling machine.  I've got 50 countries under my belt after 9 years with a passport.

Recently, we went to Koh Jum, Thailand with a few friends living in Singapore for a long weekend.  It's pretty easy to get there; you just hop on a direct flight from Singapore to Krabi, take a 40 minute taxi to the port and then jump on a boat ride to the island.  

Or, maybe I just find that easy compared to travels of years past like sleeping on the deck of a ferry for three days in order to use my Eurail pass to get from Italy to Greece (I should have been more critical when looking at the map of Italy & Greece - they don't touch, surprise!).

Once we arrived, we felt like we had the entire island to ourselves.  We stayed in beautiful villa perfect for a party of 6 at Koh Jum Beach Villas with a super friendly British host, Chris and was surprisingly affordable for such a nice place.

We spent the weekend kayaking, bike-riding, playing cards against humanity, chit-chatting, drinking, more drinking and more drinking.  It was awesome.

And, as always, it made me reflect and relax.  Check out some pics below & try booking the same for your next long weekend if you live nearby.




































































































1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...