Wednesday, June 12, 2013

What Motivates Us (and, it's not only money)


I can tell when I'm motivated.  

I can tell when I'm not (my internet history can tell too).

I didn't understand why until I watched this video by Daniel Pink.  
It isn't money (lesson from my stint in private equity).  
It isn't pleasing a boss or preventing getting yelled at (lesson from management consulting)
It isn't working at a fun company with perks, but it helps (lesson from Google)

Daniel Pink thinks motivation boils down to three things unless you're doing a mechanical skill (making widgets):
  1. Autonomy: The ability to direct your own life (hence, the popularity of 4 Hour Workweek)
  2. Mastery: Building a skill set (remember, Gladwell's Outliers & 10K hours to become an expert?  Sidenote: This is amazing http://malcolmgladwellbookgenerator.com/)
  3. Purpose: Desire to serve something bigger than ourselves (I'm a sucker for this stuff)

I'd also add Appreciation to the list.  I heard a stat a few years ago that 66% of employees quit because they felt under appreciated.  A thoughtful email or a bit of recognition goes a long way.

PS - To learn more, check out Drive by Daniel Pink (I don't think I've underlined a book title in ages, but my grammar lessons from 2nd grade just popped into my brain.  Is this still a thing?)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...