Friday, June 7, 2013

Reincarnation of the Telephone Booth


Video killed the radio star.  Cellphones killed the payphone.  It's a tough world out there.

While in Bhutan, Alan and I were wondering if anyone still uses pay phones.  

At the beginning of 2000, there were 2 million pay phones in the US; it's now 500,000.  I'm honestly shocked that any are in operation today.  I mean, more people in the world have access to a mobile phone than own a toothbrush (maybe we need more toothbrush booths).

So, how can the outdated payphone be repurposed?

Well, in NYC, they recently held a contest to "reinvent pay phones."  The finalists mostly had techie-ish suggestions.  Cool, but I'm a bit tech-ed out right now (I know, it's basically blasphemy for a Googler to say that).  Between my Mac, smartphone, i-pad and Kindle, I don't really need a larger-than-life device to confront me on my way to work.

Instead, I think this would be awesome 

(Source: My Modern Met)

There is an adorable little movement going on called the "Little Free Library" to get people to spontaneously read a book.  As a book lover, I can't think of a more ideal reincarnation.  

They can even bond over the Kindle killing the paperback.  A match made in heaven.

PS In Sao Paulo, they've turned 100 phone booths into public works of art -- such a fun way to revive the obsolete

(Source: My Modern Met)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...