Thursday, May 9, 2013

The Black Girl Project






































(Source: Willow Smith, twitpic)

I usually don't look at 12 year olds for social commentary.  I promise.

Willow Smith is wearing a shirt from The Black Girl Project shop with the names of some feminist greats - Audre Lorde, Gloria Steinem, Angela Davis and Bell Hooks.

I'm a feminist.  I'm currently reading the classic, The Feminist Mystique.  I obviously wanted to learn more about this project.

Here's the about section on the website: 

A collection based on some of my favorite women, both real and imagined. The proceeds from the items in this shop go to The Black Girl Project, an organization dedicated to the empowerment of young women and girls.

Here's some of the other shirts: (I especially like the Freedom Fighters & Literary Giants).





































I might need to order a shirt to Singapore today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...