Monday, May 13, 2013

Rekindling my childhood hobbies: Painting






























(Source: Vincent Van Gogh - A group of cottages)

An artist.  That's what I wanted to be as a child.  

I remember decorating a cut-out person with my "ideal job" for parent / teacher night at my elementary school.  It was a no-brainer -- a béret & painter's palette adorned my paper creature.


I remember getting the "Art & Leisure" catalogue every season in our mailbox from the local recreation center.  I'd scurry inside and circle all the art classes I wanted to take - pottery, sewing, painting, oh my!

I remember going to my grandparents' house in Florida and watching my grandmother sew.  Unlike most kids with limited attention spans, I wanted to do the same.  Christmas presents, Mother's Day presents, Birthday presents -- they were all hand sewn for family members until I reached middle school.

I remember starting "businesses" that embarrassed my parents (there were lots of them).  On family vacations, I'd sell cat drawings in the hotel lobby without my parents looking.  In 5th grade, I decided to take my business to the next level -- I sold hand-drawn Christmas cards door-to-door.

Fast forward 20 years.  I've somehow manager to swerve in a completely different direction -- management consultant, private equity analyst, Google business strategy.  

Where's the béret & painter's palette? 

In a search to rekindle some of my first loves (hobbies, not boys), I've started taking painting classes at My Art Space.  It's a beautiful facility -- an all glass building in the middle Istana Park.

I've taken 5 classes.  I love it.  It's my afterwork retreat from 7:30 to 10:00 PM.

My paintings are fine.  I'm not a prodigy, but it's an excellent creative release.

What childhood interests would you like to rekindle?




(Source: Me - Excerpt from my Van Gogh painting) 

2 comments:

  1. Good article - life has a lot of spaces in it and it's great to fill part of them up with a creative outlet. You can look back to your childhood and those passions can re-enter your life when you're ready. They never really leave, they're just shelved until an opportunity presents itself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mom :)

      It will be just like you & your new keyboard

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...