Thursday, May 2, 2013

Pink vs Blue



(Source: Tall Poppy Syndrome)   

Confession #1 - I loved "girl" toys as a kid.  Despite being a feminist today, all I wanted was a doll (with hair that could grow with the pull of a string) and a fake wedding ring for Christmas.

One minor exception was my brother's carpentry workshop; I made tons of shit for my grandparents to buy when they came into town (what retiree doesn't want a miniature skateboard made from scrap wood?).

Confession #2 - I built these skateboards while exclusively listening to Mary Chapin Carpenter.
Regardless of my personal childhood preferences, I do wonder how we expect women to "lean in" and "be an equal in society" when we inundate them with sexist messages from such an early age (i.e., the current "girl" toy section on the Target.com website).

We need better toys.

If this had happened 20+ years ago, perhaps I wouldn't have asked the doll with hair extensions (also, why was a doll with hair extensions ever made?).



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...