Wednesday, May 8, 2013

My Problem with Pinterest






































(Source: Gwen Stefani)

My boyfriend's father visited us last week.  He's in the fashion industry and mentioned that Pinterest is the new fashion pinboard with one major exception -- Pinterest is shared & the pinboard was confidential.

I like the concept of Pinterest.  It's visual.  It's easy.  It's a great for collecting.

In fact, Pinterest has become so popular that it's changed the UI interface across the web.

So, what's my problem with it?

It's the same issue that Michael Pollan describes as the "cooking paradox" in his latest book, Cooked: A Natural History of Transformation.  People now spend less time making food and more time reading about food, looking at food & watching shows about food.

It's easier to add someone else's idea to your Pinterest board than it is to actually create something yourself.  Why make something when you can get the same satisfaction in a few minutes by re-posting someone else's idea online?

I'm not the best example of a maker.  I love sitting on my couch with a glass of wine surfing the internet & posting on twitter (ask my boyfriend).  But, I am making a conscious effort to be more of a maker - a cooker, a writer, a photographer & a painter (I'd add "traveler," but I'm already quite good at that).

Pinterest is a good tool if it gives you inspiration to create, but make sure you don't forget the "create" part.

Here's my takeaway -- More making; less thinking about making.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...