Sunday, May 12, 2013

Ingesting Content
























(Source: Dino Tomic)

I've been off of Facebook for 2 years.  I don't miss it.

I'm on other social networks - Twitter & Google+

So, what's the difference?  Why does it matter if I substituted one social network for another?


Facebook filled my brain with useless information.  I knew more about Jennifer Hunter's 27th birthday party than I did about the presidential inauguration (note: I have not spoken to Jennifer since 10th grade volleyball)

Facebook takes you captive to whatever your 1K "friends" post, regardless of that person's relationship to you or the relevancy of the content (I know, I know - they have algorithms to improve that).  

Due to our human nature, we are hardwired to connect with human beings; hence, I was reading my newsfeed during any dead moment - at the bus stop, on the way to a meeting, etc.

Since leaving Facebook, I've taken more control over the content I ingest.  I follow people I like on Twitter (both my friends and super interesting public figures).  I connect with Photographers, Techies and Artists on Google+, sharing thoughts and photos.

I've traded potato chips for potatoes, and I feel much better.  

I'm now wasting my time looking through these 100 Most Interesting Websites (found via Twitter), rather than wasting my time on lame "towel animal" photos from someone's honeymoon.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...