Thursday, May 30, 2013

Cool Chicks: Mary Meeker


KPCB Internet Trends 2013 from Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers

In university, we were asked to tell a guest speaker our career plans; I said I planned on working in consulting.  The professor told me in front of the class to "enjoy being single forever, drinking beer & eating takeout alone in a hotel room" (to be fair, there was some truth to the statement).


I graduated first in my university class; when walking across the stage to get my diploma, the president whispered in my ear, "you're actually attractive for a smart girl."  I felt devalued   It's still one of my most vivid memories from university.

I'm now 7 years into my "career," and I've had about 20 managers (note: the majority were during my years as a consultant).  All were men.

I think these small things add up -- and, I notice I'm continually seeking out strong women role models.  Boys had a million different figures to look up to while growing up.  I had a handful.

That's why I'm glad when the "All Things Digital" conference comes around every summer, and Mary Meeker blows everyone away with her internet trends (I especially liked 2012).  Per usual, she did it once again (here's the cliff notes).  Check it out.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...